Friday’s post saw me in my new beloved Maxi dress, a trend I am fully onboard with this season. I absolutely love this style and how it will work hard for you if you let it. For me in my capsule it was the perfect dress choice. Its covered up enough for wearing through the days, can be worn with a biker jacket or remixed with a big chunky knit, plus you can wear with thick tights and chunky boots. What starts as looking like a potential summer item, turns out to be perfect autumn winter fare.
Now I have a few stipulations for an Autumn winter maxi dress to stop this looking like you forgot to store your summer dress away:
- Stick with a dark colour scheme. Black, navy burgundy and generally ‘Moody’ colours work perfectly here. It keeps the dress seasonally appropriate
- Sleeves. An obvious but very important contributing factor for the season. The sleeves make this wearable now, there’s nothing worse than draughty arms.
- Keep it full length. Midi’s are great, but here we are going full to the floor, enabling ankle boots, or knee high boots, tights and chunky socks, or even leggings can be hidden underneath. Warmth in the colder months is possible even in a dress.
- Layerable. Check you can either layer underneath or over the top. With mine above i am planning on layering a thin black turtle neck knit underneath and also a big chunky knit over the top(not at the same time of course.. but its great to have options.
- For me I want my maxi to be daywear. There are some stunning night-out maxi dresses on the market (especially the the party season fast approaching!) but this is a piece I want to be able to wear time and time again. Equally nice in day time as it is for an evening out, but nothing fancy schmancy, I’m not looking for glitter, sequins or party wear,just a wearable day dress.
So with my loose-rules/ideas in place here are the dresses that are available at the moment.
Starting with the dress I own and love. This to me was the perfect dress. I love that it’s actually a maxi shirt dress which unbuttons all the way down. The remixability of this if we were playing maxi dress trumps is higher than most and would probably trump most other dresses (I’m biased as i do own the dress), But i love the idea of a chunky cardigan, chunky sweater over the top, layers underneath and also unbuttoning it and wearing over jeans and a top and using it as a draper style layer.
Next up a dress that satisfys my inner bohemian gypsy queen
Love the folk style of this, again the winter palette keeps this seasonally appropriate. If i didn’t own my Zara dress, I think this would be the one for me.. possibly.
Ultimate bohemian styling now with Free People.. Yes this dress is a little bare around the bresticle area, but with a black silky cami or a turtle neck underneath this could work. And of course the layering options over the top would work super well too, I’m thinking a cream chunky knit roll neck sweater, chunky boots underneath and a fedora could look pretty amazing.
Next up are these Hush dresses. This is the dress that got me started on my Wintery Maxi dress mission, bu unfortunately buying one seems to be as easy as finding unicorn poo. Yep these are practically always sold out. But they are divine and worth stalking the Hush site for as they may replenish stock.
The left dress is covered in tiny flowers on a black brown and orange colour scheme, where the right is black and white stars. Both utterly gorgeous.
La Redoute have a few great offerings, Starting with this rather lovely block colour maxi dress in a beautiful autumnal Rust. Love the folky theme with the smocking but yet is still perfect for the season.
And another but with an all over floral theme in perfect autumnal colours. Pair this with a little tan jacket and you’ve got yourself a winner.
Gestuz Audra up next via Asos, in Blues and mustard hues. A bit different to the usual autumnal colour fare but I really like it.
A bit fancier but still acceptable daywear. The chiffon lends itself to the Georgian trend that isn’t going anywhere just yet, but is also modern and girly. The detail through out is super pretty, add in a biker jacket and black ankle boots to give it a nice balance and not be too pretty-pretty for daytime.
Slightly higher price bracket, but this Tommy Hilfiger is pretty special. The print is a ‘compass theme ‘ with stars, anchors and general ship references. The full length bell sleeves add coverage and interest but the belt is a little summery for my preference. I think I’d swap it out for a black chunky belt and some black boots.
Lastly a little bargain from the River Island sale. A little thinner in fabric but still a nice option none the less.
So there we have the winter maxi dresses.. What are your thoughts?
Would you like a Maxi dress for Autumn/ Winter? How would you wear yours?