Short Shorts with an oriental kimono and heels

When i walked down the stairs hubby looked at me and proceeded to ask if i was having a mid-life crisis. I guess what he means by that is this whole outfit is a little bit out of the ordinary on me (i think its the short shorts). And i do admit that i felt a little out of the ol’ personal comfort zone.
But then i truly thought, what the heck. Life is short (as short as my shorts haha)
There is a photo of me on my 18th birthday, ready to go clubbing in the big city (Cardiff that is) and i am wearing the teeniest tiniest crop top, tight trousers and a chain metal belt. I remember that day like it was yesterday, i felt amazing in that crop top (i had the washboard stomach to back it back then) and i had the best 18th i could ever have asked for.
I don’t look back at that photo and cringe, i look back at that photo and feel proud that i was that brave girl who wore what she wanted and had a damn good time doing it. So i guess i am taking a leaf out of 18 year old Rachel’s book.
30 is fast approaching for me. In another 10 years time i want to look back on the photos again and feel the same thing. Happy that i wore what i wanted, knowing i gave it a go and felt good in the process.
I would much rather that than “ohhmmmaaagood what was i thinking!!!”, which is also a strong possibility, but hopefully even at 40 i will be throwing caution to the wind and wearing what ever the hell i want.
At 30 i may not have the rock hard ab’s any more (no may about that one, definitely do not more like) And my legs are sooo very far from stick skinny, but thats ok. I am learning to be happy in my own skin. I am at a place in my life where i am now a woman, no longer a young girl.
I guess my figure reflects that. I have grown and changed but i’m proud of that.
I have a feeling my 30’s will be a good time.

Ok, so that got a little deeper than i envisaged, haha!
I shall counter that by briefly speaking about clothes…
These shorts are SO short, right?
hahahaha

Kimono & Shoes: Tesco

Vest & necklace: New Look

Shorts: River Island

Clutch: Dorothy Perkins

Sunnies: Ray ban c/o the sunglasses shop

So tell me, do you look back at your younger self and feel inspired?

Do you ever challenge yourself and step outside of your comfort zone?Do share in the comments, i love to hear your thoughts!

Kimono’s I’m Krazy for

Shop the Look

1. July 6, 2014 / 6:28 pm

Whit woo lady – AMAZING LEGS!!! I love this whole outfit actually but those shorts wow. I turn 30 next week so I completely relate to everything you're saying. I saw lets embrace it together and make 30 the new 20 in the blog world xx

2. July 6, 2014 / 6:38 pm

Another smashing look Rachel! Funny that your husband thought it wasn't 'you', because I think this has a lot of your trademark style in it – the ankle strap sandals, the bright bag, and your jewellery. To me, this blends seamlessly with the rest of your outfits.

As for inspiration from my younger self? Well, too many phases, all of them best left to the mists of time!! P x

3. July 6, 2014 / 10:18 pm

Honestly, if I had your legs then I would LIVE in shorts that short! I've spent the weekend trying to find a pair of shorts long enough to cover my thighs. I'm sure our 18-year old selves would have a lot to teach us these days! xx

4. July 6, 2014 / 11:05 pm

Your legs look amazing! Don't feel self-conscious!x

5. July 7, 2014 / 1:31 am

You look hot! Your legs are amazing! Very cool and chic look.
    We must be on the same fashion wavelength … I also did a kimono blog post today! But at 48, definitely no short shorts! 😉
    OXOX
    Dawn Lucy

6. July 7, 2014 / 7:59 am

Your kimono is gorgeous – I am in love with it. With your smashing legs, you rock the short shorts, too.

Enjoy this new week Rachel!!

7. July 7, 2014 / 1:04 pm

If you have the confidence, wear the clothes! I think you look amazing in these shorts!
    My little sister often accuses my skirt/dress/shorts lengths as being borderline geriatric… but you need to feel comfortable in your clothes above all else.

The kimono is gorgeous as well and balances things out so nicely!
    Chic on the Cheap

8. July 7, 2014 / 2:33 pm

you totally have the legs to wear these shorts – you look FANTASTIC! The kimono is fabulous as well. 30's are great – I have had a good time so far. Alot more responsibility than my 20s but still great.

9. July 7, 2014 / 3:14 pm

I love it, and as someone said, if ya got the legs, wear the short shorts and you do! I love the look of heels and shorts. I also like how you styled with the kimono and pop of orange with the clutch, so pretty!
    from the link up, jess
    please stop by

10. July 7, 2014 / 10:45 pm

I'm not sure I do feel inspired when I look back at photos. I used to have such a low self esteem and I never dressed to make the most of myself. I remember drenching myself in fake tan and hiding my figure in baggy shirts. I guess I look back and think of how I've developed over the years. Love your look today. I really must get a kimono they're the in thing right now, love your kimono and your bright clutch finishes the look perfectly!

11. July 8, 2014 / 1:19 am

My style is style evolving so I don't really take inspiration from my younger self, but I think it is funny to see how some of the same styles come back around. I really like this outfit and those shorts look great on you!

Nicole
    Nicole to the Nines

12. July 8, 2014 / 1:50 am

I love everything about this look!! Your kimono and shorts are gorgeous together!

xo,
    Angela

13. July 8, 2014 / 10:57 am

You look fab! I love the kimono especially xo

14. July 9, 2014 / 11:38 pm

I could NOT love this outfit more! Seriously you look DROP DREAD GORGEOUS!!!!
    C